Tuesday, December 04, 2007

face this



Today was a big fear-facing day for me. I feel like I have been kind of preaching to a good friend of mine about how wonderfully talented he is and how he is going to do well for himself if he ventures out on his own and believes in himself. Easy for me to say for many reasons- one being that I truly believe it, I see it as clear as day. And two being it's not me that has to leave the security of my job to freelance and start my own company. I mean I did do that but it is still a hard thing to take that first step.

Facing your fears is one of the hardest things to do.

Well since I started running I have been nervous about really pushing myself- in a variety of ways- blogging about it, for one. Because then I have to actually follow through! But it's been helpful actually, so one down. Then running straights, I hate them SO much, I need trickery when I run, curves, not long, daunting streets. Or hills. There is not much love going on there either. Well, my past two Tuesday runs have been one gigantic long straight run. With hills. Long, slow, painful crazy ass hills! The first time I ran I turned before the biggest hill with plans to tackle that one the next time I ran this route. Well, I ran it sooner than I thought I would, in the freezing cold with a hearty wind whipping around! Just for fun, right. Well, I made it up that big hill, almost puked, but I made it! Did the longest run to date of 4.5 miles in 58 minutes! What was the worst that could happen? People seeing me in spandex? Well, too bad for them. It's not like I busted out with a unitard or anything. That's for the spring. It's not like I looked like Richard Simmons or anything.

Oh and the best part, but also the saddest part is there is now officially less of me to go around. Sorry! I seemed to have misplaced about seven pounds? Has anyone seen them? :)

9 comments:

Mary Marantz said...

you ROCK!! i am so proud of you! the richard simmons pic is CRACKIN me up!

face first films said...

nice carla! good for you, especially in these nasty, bitter cold winter months! by the way, what's wrong with unitards? I wear them all the time. although I did have an incident on the train once because of it, but that's another story...

Amy Jacob said...

I think I may have found the 7lbs you are missing and 20lbs from someone else. I think I am going to have to make a "Missing Pounds?" poster. It might read something like this. Missing Pounds? Found 27lbs. of unwanted fat. Showed up sometime this summer a few pounds at a time, now I don't seem to have a good home for them. Too many of them to fit into my usual clothes. I would like to find their rightful owner so that I may give them back!"

Just kidding. Not about the fat, but about giving it back (to you anyway) I might like to give it to Angelina Jolee or maybe the Olson Twins.

I think this whole diet and getting in shape thing is spreading. Way to be a trail blazer!

carla ten eyck said...

Amy not to self- I will refuse any mysterious packages that you send to me.
Jeff, I will be posting a unitard Jeff picture, just prep yourself for it
Richard Simmons is misunderstood. Am I right?

Justin Marantz said...

My grandmother (who was a school teacher mind you) strongly believes that "weight is just like matter... it can not be created or destroyed only transfered to someone else" So just think... somewhere in the world someone just gained 7lbs thanks to you ;-)

Seriously though, awesome job on the monster run!

Jaime said...

Seven pounds! That's fantastic. Congrats.

STEVE DePINO said...

Looks like you are getting ready for the next big run on Sunday!

Unknown said...

YOU GO GIRL! you got more will and energy and power than me man! can we get the swim-a-thons back on? i like kicking. i could kick off some unwanted pounds, right?

nikki nicole photography said...

congrats on the weight lose and setting a goal to accomplish! i am so proud of you! good luck on sunday!