Tuesday, January 29, 2008

somebody SLAP ME!!
















DURAN DURAN!!!!


Last night I got to do something that I never thought I would ever be able to do in my life. If I could flash back to when I was a 12 year old girl, totally and completely in love with Duran Duran, obsessively like every other gal of the 80's....I think I would just die on the spot if I knew as a 34 year old woman I would get the chance to not only SEE Duran Duran but PHOTOGRAPH THEM!!!! EFFFF!!!! I feel like a spastic freak and I am sure this post will highlight every facet of that, so just make a note of that.

But CRAP!!!! I am STILL on cloud nine, still giddy and can't believe that I got to hear them sing one of my all time favorite songs- 'Save A Prayer' That's right. I remember in the prehistoric days when you had to sit by the radio with a blank tape at the ready waiting for the DJ's to stop talking so you could record the songs off the radio! How embarrassing! How primitive! But I was GOOD, I had some mad DJ skillz and could que it up perfect- stopping right in time for my next song to add on to my mix master mix tape . 'Save A Prayer' was one of my faves, I would absolutely freak out when I had the absolute luck to catch the entire song, or better yet, switch the radio station just in time to catch it again! I honestly thought I had ESP for a while because I had some crazy intuitive song catching skills. OK, call it dumb luck but I was twelve, what do you want.

And yet. Here I was, last night at this bar in Hartford waiting with the ladies and some random men and hear that you are absolutely ALLOWED to take pictures! Just no video. And all I came armed with was my stupid point and shoot. So Dodie and I BOOKED home to grab my gear so I could shoot. It's just for me I am not doing anything with these pictures except maaaayyybbbeee making some new posters for my room!!

Can I just say that John Taylor, my favorite!!! Still has it going on, he is SO freaking HOT I could barely stand it. Oh! Oh! We made eye contact!!!!! I almost forgot about that!!!!! And I was so close I could pretty much touch him but refrained lest I get tackled by the Ving Rhames look alike body guard they had rolling with them.

Now my oldest sister Tere loved herself some Simon LeBon back in the diz-ay. I never really had a taste for him, not sure why. But he is hilarious! They were cracking jokes like they were doing stand up.

At the very least I think Simon and I could be really good friends. Like I can see him coming over to mow my lawn to be nice and then making a big pitcher of mojitos in the middle of the day on like a Tuesday in August and passing out in my hammock and getting sun burnt. And then Jack and Georgie and I would pile all of their stuffed animals on him while he was sleeping so he would wake up buried.

And then when he would go to leave we would lament the fact that he needs to just find himself a nice girl to settle down with so that he has someone to pass out with after he's done doing my lawn.

Right?

21 comments:

nikki nicole photography said...

wow how awesome is that taking band photos!!! sounds like you have fun....how was the seminar this weekend??

Jean Molodetz said...

holy shit carla! those are awesome....and fess up...you sneaked a touch didn't you?

STEVE DePINO said...

Great job on these... looks like it was worth the quick exit from the workshop. :)

Cindy Robinson said...

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them :)

Unknown said...

...whoa girl--calm down sista'

Jeannine Jersey Bailey said...

You are too funny! I am so glad you had fun...I kept looking for you to see if you were getting any shots, but I was too busy getting all the questions together for the Q&A. :)

Amanda Harris said...

You totally crack me up - stop yourself! Cool down lest you burst into flame :) I am tired - do we really need to go running?????? Boo for running.

Robin Dini Photography said...

HER NAME IS RIO AND SHE DANCES ON THE SAND! love me some Duran Duran too lady! Wohoo!

Tere @ My Precious Studio said...

straight up! remember when we saw them WAY back in the day (198what..the Reflex Tour). I had some strange girl next to me screaming, crying, grabbing my arm and YELLING for Simon. I'd say more than half the crowd was screaming and crying. I did love me some LeBon bon, but I had a mad crush on the drummer. nerd.

carla ten eyck said...

Bull CRAP you had no such crush on Roger Taylor, stop frontin' sister!!

Jeannine- I was trying to lay low and be unobtrusive...looks like I succeeded!

I am still not calmed down, I keep reflecting randomly throughout the day... spaz out.... calm down...remember...spaz...deep breath...raise my family....spaz out....etc. etc. etc.

fun times!!!

Eric Foley said...

Hello, my name is Eric.......and I too.......am a closet Duran Duran junkie! Of course they split time with Wham though!

Looks like you had a blast, good for you! I'm still waiting for my Green Day moment!

face first films said...

what's really strange is that steve has the exact same post on his blog- verbatim. That is awesome! did they play there version of White Lines? Good to know someone else taped songs off the radio! We didn't have goddamn itunes! It was iReilly! Are you hungry like a wolf?

tigerbeat.nl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tigerbeat.nl said...

Gorgeous pictures!
Thanks for adding them!
Congrats...

Lots of love,

Mark and Madeleine.
(Head editor TigerBeat, www.tigerbeat.nl).

Michelle Wade Huston said...

I had an opportunity to shoot then in Boston on Sat night.. I didn't because i had a booth at the foxwoods bridal show with a 5:30 am set up..
Funny thing is a friend of mine was the one doing the lighting for their show and some how he made to the expo as well, i was like we could have car pooled.. Small world!!

Susannah McGlamery said...

holy moly. i'm hungry like a wolf for these dudes...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Great Pictures!

Since you'll more than likely be in a Duran Duran mood for the next few days... i just wanted to let you know about another band you may like… they’re called Red Vein, and they’re from the UK! I heard them on the radio here in LA the other day, and went right to their myspace to look ‘em up (www.myspace.com/redveinmusic)... They remind me of some cool mixture of New Order, Duran Duran, Clear Static and Tears for Fears. You should really check them out!

~ Paige

Laura Landau said...

Yeah baby! watch out, it's a sickness. Pretty soon you'll be finding out where all your favorite bands are playing and flying out just to shoot them...
:)

E. Broderick Photography said...

Hilarious flashback post! My friend and I used to make up dances to their songs--especially "The Reflex" and we seriously though we deserved a spot on Star Search. (Good God--we were fools.) Look at picture #10--I never knew Simon LeBon was the spitting image of Anthony Hopkins. Am I crazy?!

Duranman68 said...

Great pictures! FYI: I know it's been 13 years but I will be posting the entire 30 minute audio on my Duran Fan Page on Facebook tomorrow. "Like" or "Follow" my page "Unofficial: Duran Duran In Print".