Wednesday, April 09, 2008

mentoring session with laurie crutchfield





Here we are rocking the reflector, AGAIN! Cara was very skilled at working it!

Jamie's feet were bathed in this super ridiculous light, ok maybe it's more of her dress but you get my point. Super crazy pretty!

Miss Laurie got caught red handed shooting tight here! But she worked it out and got some awesome compostion and really rocked their pose!

This scrabbly ladder added a nice touch here, right? These sisters are so amazing! This image was the perfect time for Laurie to do her 'visual sweep' before committing to the image- we caught a strap out of place, poor feet placement & we also placed Cara's hand on her hip to give her more purposeful body language.













Laurie Crutchfield is one of the most adorable and talented ladies I have met in a long time- and that accent is just too much!!

I had the pleasure of being hired to do a one day mentoring session with Miss Laurie the day after the Rediscovery Workshop so to us it felt like the learning didn't stop until she got on her plane back to North Carolina!

Laurie said she really wanted to do a shoot with me and see how I got what I get during a shoot and to help her achieve what she sees in her mind at a shoot. So I asked Laurie what some of her weaknesses are and what she wanted to improve upon. She said she mostly shoots tight and that she has a hard time posing couples. I feel like these are two areas I feel pretty confident in and was really up for the challenge of shooting, stopping, thinking things out, recomposing or adjusting as necessary and getting it right! I think she secretly wanted to knock me out by the end of the shoot because I wasn't letting her get away with anything! Wait, who am I kidding? It wasn't a secret at ALL she was yelling 'CARLA TEN EYCK.....!!' throughout the day as I badgered away at her. She tried shooting tight so many times but I caught her red handed and made her switch to her wide lens and really think about her composition, another thing she wanted to work on. I posted my interpretation of our day here and now I can't wait to see her images!

It was so much fun for both of us because we got to photograph Jamie and Cara again and have them all to ourselves! Well, Mike was there with his wife Kim but that was for something else entirely... but that's another blog post!

So, I am officially available for one on one mentoring sessions! I think that one of the most valuable aspects of our workshop was seeing everything through from start to finish- meaning, we had our concept, we shot, we worked on our images and had a critique. So I would love to offer a private shoot with either a couple or just one person and work on whatever it is you think you need help with while shooting- then edit and work up your images to see the process through.

If you are interested just shoot me an email and we can discuss the details! And thanks to Laurie Crutchfield for making me realize this is something that I really want to do!

xxoo

my bad on spelling your name Lori- one of my client's spells her name that way!! :)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

that busted umbrella is amazing

laurie said...

what's up with spellimg my name "Lori"? haha too funny! I did have such a good time and I can't wait to edit these images..it may be a few days:( For anyone intereseted Carla ROCKS at teaching and if you tell her you want to learn something, she will hold you to it...so call her up you'll be sooooo glad you did!

Heather Colt said...

wow! where is that place your shooting... its killer!!! I love working w /you Carla... your truly an inspiration to me! maybe i'll take you up on a session! i could use my butt being kicked!

raw photo design said...

these are gorgeous carla....you're the hostess with the mostest.

.:tomas flint:. said...

so freekin cool Carla!!! Love the shots...love the location...love the write up...love what you're doing girl! whoot whoot!!!

Salty Grapes said...

Woman, I am ALLLL over signing up for a mentoring class with you. You lit a fire under my butt... I'm soooo there. =) Reading this post totally made my day!!! -Julia

Beyond The Lens Photography said...

LOVE the twisted umbrella! That thing rocks! I see the reflector is front and center too! Awesome job gals. I hate to see Laurie gooooo! She is a sweetheart!

Robin Dini Photography said...

amazing! i may want to take you up on that mentoring idea. we'll barter. hey, I ordered my reflector today!

nikki nicole photography said...

is that the secret location you and mike were talking about???

rockin images!!!!!

love the umbrella!!

Robert J. Trenske said...

Incredible photos, LOVE the location and of course Kara and Jaimee look amazing. Nice job!!

E. Broderick Photography said...

Ooh--mentor session with Carla Ten Eyck? Totally jealous. Looks like a fabulous session. Love the spot.

seshu said...

So, um, why didn't we go here to shoot during our workshop? [grin]

Seshu

Sublime Studios said...

I love the umbrealla!! Where did you get that? It adds so much to the image..

Travis Flynn said...

2nd-to-bottom w/ umbrella filling the frame-- I like that one a lot. Great use of strong diagonals and complementary colors. Detail of hands w/ dress is very nice as well. :-) Good shots!

JAGstudios said...

sick shoot carla! seriously rockin images! well done!