Monday, April 21, 2008

vienna work shop

From the second we arrived in Vienna all we heard about were how dark the churches are and how hard they are to shoot in. Very old, very beautiful, but dark. Well, part of our workshop involved a shoot with a bride and groom in a church, which is great because then we get to problem solve stuff like tricky lighting situations etc. So we get there and it is one of the most light filled churches in Vienna! Oh well! But it still presented some interesting shooting issues that we were able to go over.





So I led a section of the shoot where we try and find interesting places to do portraits. Sometimes outside situations can be less than ideal- like it could be raining or freezing outside or whatever and you are forced to do your portraits in the church. This was fun because I asked everyone to look around and find out of the ordinary places to shoot portraits in. In the corner behind the altar there was this odd little nook that had these blocks of windows that presented a less than ideal situation- so of course I wanted to see what we could all produce! This was what I got out of it.



When Steve and I walked in the church the first thing we saw were these giant textured awesome doors! We knew we would make it back to them and shoot our bride & groom in front of them. I can't wait to see how everyone else saw this!




After shooting inside the church and at the doors we wandered down this path to see what was at the end... and there was a big field just waiting for us to shoot in it! A nice little present for Steve- he is a field loving fool! :)

I showed them how I see fields, mostly from me shooting really low and using things in the foreground to lead you into the frame.







As always, during our trip there was a big Canon vs Nikon debate, with me being out numbered for the most part- especially when it was me, Steve, Daniela and Wolfgang! This guy puts the 'gang' in Wolfgang let me just put that out there! He was ganging up on me and my poor little D3 all week! ;) So when we got to the work shop there was a guy (Robert) who was shooting with a D3, so I felt like I wasn't all alone in the world since Mike wasn't there to help fight off the D3 / Nikon haters! :P There were actually quite a few of us Nikon users in the bunch so I felt protected...!

At the end of the workshop they wanted to shoot me and Steve in the field- so I had to shoot them shooting us as well! I know Robert got some hilarious shots of us and I can't wait to see the rest! So send those in and I will add them to this post!






Thanks for having Steve and I over to talk about something we love so much! I can't wait for the next one!!

12 comments:

Robert J. Trenske said...

BEAUTIFUL photos Carla (as always), I am so jealous, I wish I could have been there!!

STEVE DePINO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
STEVE DePINO said...

Oh man... you beat me to the post!!!! AHHHH I have to get on this right now...:) Great photos by the way :)

E. Broderick Photography said...

Gorgeous shots. Looks like you guys had a great time and great locations. Love the shot you took of everyone shooting you! I also love your take on "field shots" and would like to try some real low shots next time the opportunity presents itself. Great stuff! Can't wait to see more.

Studio Foto said...

WOW! It looks like you had an amazing time out there girlfriend! The images look AWESOME!!! I love the shot where Depino looks like Jesus showing everyone the light...which I guess is what us photographers do- don't we? Hehe!

Can't wait see you in a couple days to give you a BIG HUG and here all about the adventure!!

Robin Dini Photography said...

these are amazing. i can't wait to hear all about it. that shot with steve's arms out is killer.

Unknown said...

Steve DePino ---arms outstretched--like a heavenly photo angel atop the mound in Austria.

Teresa Wagner said...

Incredible images!! Can't wait to see more and hear from you soon. Glad you guys had a blast.

Salty Grapes said...

What a whirlwind trip! Awesome photos... you all looked like you were having such a blast!!

Jean Molodetz said...

awesome pics.......as always. steve looks like a preacher! love the church nook silhouette.

daniela said...

preacher? he is the "Godfather of Photography"

Val McCormick Photography said...

Hi Carla, I have heard so many great things about you. I love the shots from the work shop. That little nook shot, well let me just say, WOW!!! Your a beautiful artist. Can't wait for the next workshop you and Steve host. I need first dibs :-)