Thursday, April 24, 2008

squirrel madness


For the past week or so I have had the most irritating squirrel issues at my studio! There has been a squirrel that has been clawing her way INTO my gutters and inside my studio roof, at the point which is directly above my head and right outside my window, of COURSE! And it's been really warm out, right? And I didn't have my screens in yet because we JUST finished the studio, like last week practically....so I have been hanging out with the windows open, sans screens, all free-like. Until Mrs. Squirrel was scritching her way into my house, and I'd yell out at her to knock it OFF... which only pissed her off, I think. We made some very aggressive eye contact! I refused to back down, even though I was staring straight into the sun and searing my eyeballs- because isn't there some rule about eye contact and animals and dominance or something?? Or is that only dogs and goldfish....

...in any event, all of this racket has been driving me, Amanda and Robin CRAZY not to mention absolutely destroying my nerves in the process! I am a jumpy gal anyway, so this is just forcing me over the edge.

So after hearing the poor little thing crying all day today I begged Dave to cut a hole in my wall to free the poor thing. Talk about CUTE! And I am not a fan of squirrels, honestly. No offense to the squirrel lovers in the house...! So I see this little hole and Jack and Dave are trying to feed it a carrot and BAM, his little paw comes darting out to grab the mutant carrot we were offering! How cute is THAT??

Of course I took come video that I am planning on posting of this poor thing running all over my awesome stair railing, which are made of trees, by the way, talk about confusing this poor thing!

...and did I mention there is one more stuck inside??

13 comments:

Robin Dini Photography said...

ONLY ONE PICTURE!!! ha ha. dude, funniest event of my week. tops the leaping squirrel at the cookout.

raw photo design said...

I think that carrot is 10 times funnier than the squirrel...what sort of nuclear waste dump did you get that carrot from???

Eric Foley said...

Okay, cute squirrel cute story but make sure you STERILIZE!!!!

It looks like a scene out of the shining! I hear faint screeching sounds in the distance.

carla ten eyck said...

I know, right Eric?? I was so distracted by that crazy carrot too, even more than the fact that I had these hoo has in my WALLS!

Wanna come over for a salad?

Tony Spinelli Photography said...

It reminds me of the scene from Christmas Vacation where the crazy squirrel jumps out of the Christmas tree! Don't get too close!

Amanda Harris said...

You didn't tell me you let it out! Add it to the Chris Mead list :) That pictures is PRICELESS.....very horror movie-ish - Mary would approve!

laurie said...

ohhhhh that is tooo freakin funny!!!! I have a image of the squirrel shyly peaking out of the hole then lanching itself on your face as you run around the studio screaming "get more carrots!!!!" I have to see the video

Unknown said...

several years ago - in my old rental house - I had what they termed an 'aggressive' squirrel, which kept punching holes in my screens to get in the house for food. I ended up having to call an animal control guy who set creepy traps outside with peanut butter. I ended up catching about 6 all together (one of which was likely the nasty one) and they were taken away for 'relocation'. It was awful - they would scream and yell and wine, and other squirrels would come by and try to get the peanuts in the now locked cage which would just upset the trapped squirrel. It was horrible to listen to, until I realized that they had not yet trapped the bad one, since it continued to ruin all my screens.

What was funny was after all that, there were like NO squirrels around...it was as if they knew mine was the Death House and they all left town!!!

Heather Colt said...

How freaking adorable!!! your kids must have loved that!!

Susannah McGlamery said...

OH! Little squirrel! I love it... I am obsessed with the little claw.

Amy Jacob said...

You gotta be careful with those squirrels! My brother was bit by a squirrel in High School while waiting for the bus. The thing ended up dieing on his finger and he had to come home to have my mom take it off. Luckily no rabies!

By the way, that carrot is all wrong.

E. Broderick Photography said...

This is the best damn blog post I have seen anywhere in a long time. Can't stop laughing and can't stop looking at that hilarious little claw. He really looks like he means business!

Beyond The Lens Photography said...

OMG...that is hilarious! I like the "only one shot" approach....and what a shot! That is like something out of the shinning. I think you have a freakshow traped in your walls Carla!