Tuesday, May 06, 2008

lauren + jamie new york city engagement shoot

Before I went on vacation Mike and I met up with my September clients Lauren & Jaime in New York City for their engagement shoot. I have to preface this by saying not only how much I love going into New York City to shoot but how different each shoot turns out!

We started off at the Roosevelt Island Tram (which I had not only never been on but had of course certainly never shot on!) which is this gondola tram thing that really put my fear of heights into the spotlight (and for the record Mike is just as scared as I am of heights but he was able to distract himself by making fun of me and my bald-faced fear) But really, I just used my camera as a distraction and focused on shooting Lauren & Jaime, two of the most camera-natural people, ever! Did I mention that Lauren is a super incredible singer / songwriter as well? She is on itunes, check her out under Lauren Zettler!!





I shot Lauren's ring on this strange little metal stool on the tram. I just loved the colors and textures of it and the circles!





We had such a great time walking around the city, stopping here and there as Mike and I saw shots we wanted to grab.









After the tram we hit up Central Park, always a favorite because it is so big and there are so many places within places to shoot. Not to mention the fact that they were so willing to wait while Mike and I figured out a location or a pose or a lighting situation until it worked for us and we were able to rock it like we had imagined. It can be too easy as a photographer to get a bit frazzled because you may think your clients think you have to figure it out in a split second and that if you don't you are less of a photographer or something. (WARNING, SOAP BOX LECTURE... :) In my opinion it can mean that you are a better photographer for making a certain situation work for you that may not have worked for you in the beginning. But something made you stop and want to shoot there, so take a second, take a deep breath and reflect on what that was- (the light? the textures? the location?) and find it again. Then shoot it.











Lauren & Jamie brought us over the Brooklyn Bridge on foot, something that I have always wanted to do but never have done- and it was SO worth it- there was beautiful light and it was absolutely the most perfect temperature out, oh and have I mentioned how comfortable these two were??
I do have to point out that it was a little bit freaky thinking of the movie Cloverfield as we walked over the bridge...





Mike shot this with my 14-24 2.8

I shot this with a tighter lens, from the almost exact spot as Mike, in fact I think his hand was in my shot! Can you feel me on how just your lens choice can change up your shot? How different are these two shots?



We even saw a ball python on the subway.



Our last stop was Grand Central Station where I really wanted to play around with some more motion blur. I didn't have my tripod but I steadied my camera on the landing and kind of hand held it.



Can you name the shooter on the right??


Steve had been shooting the NFL Draft all week in the city so I gave him a call to meet up with Mike and I for some dinner after our shoot... it was very romantic!




15 comments:

STEVE DePINO said...

whispering sweet nothings in to mikes ear :)

ideagirl said...

you both look very happy together!

heheh

Robert J. Trenske said...

Ok Carla, just when I think you can't possibly blow my mind with your photography, you do it again. I love your style and the way you see things. When when when can we shoot something together?

Unknown said...

ok - lovin' the first 2 bridge shots and that 'steps with people motion' one! SUPER! You know, I just read somewhere that you -technically- need a permit to use a tripod in Grand Central! Can you imagine that?!

Jerome said...

I've shot a lot at Grand Central, and yes you need some sort of permit for something, but they way we all shoot; who's to say we aren't just tourists with really expensive toys? lol Great job guys. Love the bridge shots. Always a favorite of mine. How are your feet after that world tour? Yowza! That's a lot of walking. They are gonna love the pix, I'm sure.

CT Pug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin Dini Photography said...

rocking the converse baby! signs rock! the shot looking down the road with them fuzzed out in the foreground...awesome!

and props to Mike! Amazing!

okay, let's see a slideshow with some of lauren's tunes!

Salty Grapes said...

I was going to post that I just get chills with each photo I scroll past... the feelings that you can evoke... man! Then I hit the giant one of Steve in the candlelight. =) I dunno if I got the chills on that one or not...

Just amazing shots. Beautiful. Lauren & Jamie are adorable! -Julia

Amanda Harris said...

LOVE them - and I'm glad you and Steve had a romantic dinner. The shot of Grand Central is great - I love love love Grand Central...so beautiful. Love the ring shot and Mike's shot on the bridge. Yeah - they are pretty much all wicked awesome :)

Tony Spinelli Photography said...

Those are all amazing shots. That's so true that you should slow down and take your time to find the shot. I often find myself rushing because I think the client is getting impatient.

nikki nicole photography said...

i love love love the shot that both you and mike took of the two of them sitting on the stairs. it really just does something for me!

Beyond The Lens Photography said...

Carla....honestly your blog makes me want to puke! You guys are so awesome that everytime I look at a blog post I sink into this downward spiral of nothingness(sniff sniff)....Har Har.....Love all of the shots, but I have to give a HUGE kudos to MIke...That bridge shot is crazy! It needs to be in a gallery wrap on-the-wall!!!! Great job guys!

face first films said...

carla thats the most badass shot of grandcentral I've ever seen! i love it

Studio Foto said...

Wow Carla, these are sweet!!! I adore the shots on the Brooklyn Bridge, and also the one of her ring on the metal stool! I also love how you put your logo in one of the holes on that shot. You should make a promo piece with that.

Studio Foto said...

Oh, and that shot of Stevey & Mikey is very adorable.